Wednesday, October 13, 2010

click drag, drag exhale

I have myself on this budget for the week that stagnates my fun-intake.
It's ok, because I have the internet. And when that cuts out, I can take a leisurely spin around my desktop.

I've been collecting snips of images I love;
if only for composition, color, or surprise.
I don't really discriminate; I just amass in hopes a common trend will form, and I can intuit a direction for a drawing, a story, or an outfit (I'm kidding, no I'm not).

Tour of My Desktop:



I like weird bulbous trees. Especially when they are stacked like this. It reminds me of a really horrific person, and the gesture of the tree is really weird.


I found this on topshop's website looking for normal-looking interview clothes for a boring office job I didn't want. I laughed for a really long time.



I have a thing for film stills where actors are reading letters.
I don't know how articulately I can elaborate on this, but I think it's the awareness that the author of that letter doesn't exist, and the letter may not even have an actual message on it.

It feels like a really bizarre prop because unlike a fake backdrop, or a set, it can't try and look any realer than a piece of paper with scribbles on it, and that's why it's not convincing. It doesn't and can't overcompensate. A movie set is designed to be lit in a way that makes it more believable, and movie sets often look fake in real life. A letter (fake or not) will always look like a letter if it's trying to be real. The only leverage it inherently has to show sincerity is the emotional response of the reader/actor, or contribution to the plot. Letters also add this layer of time and depth that's kind of disorienting. Movies fake real time and letters only strive to deepen this illusion. The letter exists as a record of intent and commitment to time spent transcribing, and also a scene we have been excluded from as an audience and must believe out of faith and loyalty to the story.

I guess that's why I always save these pictures.


Morandi! I used to hate you all the time. I blame the art school angst and stubbornness.
Still,it feels better to arrive at loving something in your own time.. it feels hard-won that way.
I love how he grounds his objects, and how they are common cups, boxes, and pots but they seem so anonymous and withholding. The warm, neutral colors, and how they huddle together like they're cold, or whispering secrets.



Tv always crops images in a strange and careless way. I guess because the composition is supposed to be temporary and constantly moving. The priority of what you're supposed to be paying attention to is always apparent, and the only subtlety employed may just be subliminal and slightly underhanded. I am also fond of the frame within the frame (tv screen in a movie still) and being forced in to the vantage point of the character.

No comments:

Post a Comment