Wednesday, December 1, 2010

objects

"If you look at the handle on the end of that bat, there's an 'x' because it was a reject... The cleat marks at the head of the bat where I hit my shoes, there's indentations at the beginning of the bat. At the end of the bat, it was so deep, there's really deep indentations, the red ink from the foul balls I hit is on it. You can actually see the spot where I made contact with the ball..."
- kirk gibson on his homerun-hitting bat

I read this interview with enzo mari in a magazine this past summer where he talked about our relationships with objects.
How you treat objects can change their very nature, not just physically, but intrinsically. It's funny to think about the idea of family heirlooms and hope chests; even shaker gift drawings. They don't just represent history, desire, or faith. They're not stand-ins for a certain feeling, but are the feeling itself.

I like the part where he talks about rocks:

No comments:

Post a Comment