Tuesday, September 21, 2010

no one uses question marks

I recently subscribed to the online dating service, "How About We."
I don't really want to how about we with anyone right now, but I enjoy reading the emails like I read my twitter feed.

I know it must sound like a lame, self-conscious cover-up to participate in online dating for what sounds like twee indie-flick reasons. But I don't really hold weird taboos about that sort of thing. Growing up on the internet, having secret internet pen pals and super best friends where we would trade short stories and music pretty much forfeits any higher ground on my end.

I guess I'm more interested in the economy of the interface. You're not cruising the person outright, but deciding based on some whimsical for instance. But before you can get all Juno-Garden State, many of the dates fall in to old traps of what you imagine dating websites to be.


For example:

"How about we... MY NAME IS DAVID WILLIAMS FROM WINTER HAVEN FLORIDA AM SINGLE MAN NEVER BEEN MARRIED THAT IS WHY AM HERE ON THIS LOVING DATING SITE TO SEARCH FOR SOMEONE WHOM I CAN SHARE ALL MY HEART AND SOUL WITH WHOM WILL BE MY WIFE"

"How about we... i am seeing this dating like easy way to get wht you like"

"How about we... great i love this site"

"How about we... Overseas..."


I know it's lonely being a person, but it's one sentence, and format writes half of it for you.
I can't believe we aren't taking advantage of the self-editing the internet now affords us.
It just reminds me of this:

No comments:

Post a Comment